Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Ultimate Burger

These burgers are on a previous post for this week's meal plan, but they were so good they deserve their very own post. First, I started with ground beef from our quarter of grass-fed beef. Knowing they are healthy burgers makes me love them all the more. I used one pound for 2 adults and two small kids. I added Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to the meat and mixed with my hands. From this mixture, I took a small amount (probably 1/4 to 1/3 lb) to make patties for the kids. Then I added crumbled blue cheese to the adult burger mix. About one ounce of cheese to two-thirds pound of meat. Mix it just to incorporate and then shape into patties. Grill until desired doneness (which can be less done than traditional ground meat b/c you don't have the same concern for contamination).

Top with crispy bacon, thickly sliced avocado, tomato, red onion and lettuce. Place on homemade sourdough buns (this is key to making an outstanding burger. Okay, it doesn't have to be sourdough, but it absolutely does have to be homemade. Store bought doesn't even come close) that have been slathered with chipotle mayonnaise. To make the chipotle mayo, combine 1/2 cup mayo with juice from 1/2 a lemon. Add in 2 chipotle peppers, seeded and finely minced. Salt and pepper to taste.

Buns straight out of the oven

Did I say these were the best burgers I think I've ever had?? Serve with fresh sweet potato fries (scrub sweet potatoes well, leave skins on. Cut into fries and toss w/olive oil, salt, and either smoked paprika or cayenne pepper depending on how much of a kick you want) and bake at 425 F for about 10 mins, tossing half way through.

5 comments:

  1. They sound amazing! If you want to brown up your buns a bit you can do an egg white wash right before baking. I think it's one part egg white and 2 parts water. And you are right, fresh baked hamburger buns make life worth living!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach, the recipe actually called for doing an egg wash and then putting the sesame seeds on, but I figured I didn't need to do it. Next time I will since the buns were awfully ghostly looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked for the recipe...but then I found it in an earlier post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm now THAT looks delicious. I just might change up the plain ol burgers we're having on Sunday to look more like yours. I'm sure that'll WOW em!

    ReplyDelete