Friday, October 28, 2011

Week 42

Thai Green Curry (from my our produce delivery company, Door to Door Organics, website)

Raw Kale Apple Salad
I am surprised I didn't post about this yet. (Maybe I did but I can't find it when I search). I've made this a few times and it's really good, and good for you!

1 bunch kale, center stalks removed (and discarded) and leaves coarsely chopped
1-2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs grapeseed or olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 apple, cored and chopped

Mix all ingredients except apple in large bowl. Use clean hands to work the salt and vinegar into kale. Add apple and serve immediately or refrigerate upto a couple days.


Butternut Squash Enchiladas with Goat Cheese and Mole Sauce
For the mole:
Mole on bottom of baking dish
3-4 dried ancho chilies, stem and seeds removed, soaked in 2 cups hot water for about an hour (water reserved)
EVOO or grapeseed oil
1 small onion, diced
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 black peppercorns
2 cloves
1" piece of cinnamon stick
1 tsp oregano
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 15oz can diced tomatoes, drained
agave syrup, if desired, to taste
kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste

Heat EVOO in large skillet over med-high heat. Add onion and saute a few mins until softened. Add pine nuts, raisins, sesame seeds, garlic, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon and oregano. Saute several minutes, stirring, until very fragrant. Add chilies and one cup of their soaking water. Add chocolate and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer a few mins until chocolate is melted. Transfer mixture to blender, working in batches if necessary, and puree until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings and add agave if you like. I did and wished I hadn't as I thought the final product was too sweet. You could also add some cayenne pepper if you want more heat. Return to skillet and heat through.
2 small butternut squashes in baking dish

For the enchiladas:
1 large butternut squash
4 oz plain goat cheese
1 tsp dried oregano
kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
8 whole wheat tortillas (burrito size)

finished butternut puree
Roast the squash until soft (about an hour). How you prepare the squash is up to you. I opted to slice in half the long ways, scoop out seeds, and bake at 375F for about an hour. I then scooped out the soft flesh and put into my food processor. After doing it that way, I think next time it would be easier to peel and cube the squash and then roast it. It will be fine either way. It's a toss-up really if peeling and cubing is more work or if trying to scoop the hot insides out of the skin without burning your hands is more work. Upto you.

Once your squash is roasted and skinned in in the food processor, add the goat cheese and oregano and puree. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Ladel about a cup of mole into the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan (I used the same one that I previously roasted my squash in).

Assemble enchiladas by filling the tortillas with a generous scoop of squash mixture and then rolling up and placing in prepared pan. Cover with mole sauce and bake at 350F until heated through, about 10-15 mins. Serve topped with sour cream and/or avocado and put a green salad on the side. I didn't take a picture of the final enchiladas because I didn't really care for the way they looked plated but they were delicious!

Chicken Mole
Use the leftover mole sauce over chicken and sauteed veggies (carrot, celery and onion are great) for another dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment