Thursday, September 1, 2011

Week 34

This week has almost gotten away from me! I determined early in the week that I had enough food in the house that I should be able to skip grocery shopping and come up with meals out of what I had on hand or what I can pull out of the garden. So far we've eaten pasta w/zucchini, black bean enchiladas (from week 20), and basil pesto tilapia (from Costco) with a Greek salad. Tonight we're having the last of the enchiladas and I made a raw kale salad to go with them. Saturday might be a cilantro noodle bowl or a cilantro pesto chicken (I have a lot of cilantro that needs to be used!). So I don't leave without posting some sort of recipe, I'll give you the Greek salad and the raw kale salad recipes. (By the way, the kale is so good that there might not be enough left for dinner because I keep snacking on it!) Sorry for the lack of pictures. I was going to take some of the kale salad and the batteries were dead and I can't find the charger.

Greek Salad
1 large tomato, roughly chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut into long quarters and sliced
1/2 cup or so kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
1/2 cup or so crumbled feta cheese (preferably from goat's milk)
dressing:
1/4 cup EVOO
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
1/2 tsp dried basil
1-2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
kosher or sea salt to taste

Combine salad ingredients in medium bowl. Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Toss gently to coat. Serve immediately or can marinate upto a few hours.

Raw Kale Salad, adapted from Pretty Smart Raw Food Ideas
1 bunch kale, thick stems discarded and leaves thinly sliced
5 jumbo green olives (pimento stuffed), finely chopped
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs EVOO
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced, or a few good shakes of garlic powder
sea salt to taste (I used Indian black salt)

Combine all ingredients in medium large bowl and mix with clean hands, really massaging and pressing the dressing through the leaves. Cover and refrigerate upto several hours (tastes great right away, too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment