Saturday, September 3, 2011

Kefir Waffles

My kefir grains are hungry critters and over the past week I've ended up with more kefir than we can drink or use in smoothies. So, this morning I decided to put that kefir to use in waffles. I've read that you can use kefir as a substitute for buttermilk, so I figured it should come out pretty good. First, I must say that this is the first time in as long as I can remember that the waffles didn't stick terribly to the waffle iron (I used coconut oil to grease the iron first, and also in the waffle recipe). Second, these were terrific! Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside with a nice flavor. So give them a try!

Kefir Waffle Recipe
1 cup sprouted grain flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups kefir (if you buy it from the store, make sure you get plain), or buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
4 Tbs liquid coconut oil

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Stir in kefir, eggs and coconut oil. Mix until all the clumps are pretty much gone. Grease a hot waffle iron with a generous amount of coconut oil. Pour in some batter and cook according to your waffle iron's instructions. Mine has a light that turns off when it's ready. You can also watch for the steam to slow considerably and then it should be done. Serve with any number of fixings, including fresh fruit and honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment