Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Week 19


I don't know what happened here. I thought I had week 19 posted, but when I went into my dashboard I saw it sitting here as a draft. And with only one recipe to boot. Well, this was a good recipe so I'm going to go ahead and post it, even if it's lonely all by itself. Enjoy!

Fassoulia (adapted from greenbeansnmore.com) about 6 servings

1 lb. ground lamb, beef or turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
½ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. allspice
1 tsp. crushed dried basil
1 tsp. crushed dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
3 oz. tomato paste, diluted in 1 cup water or stock
farro or barley for serving

Brown meat in dutch oven. When almost all browned, add onion, garlic and spices. Continue cooking until onions are soft, stirring occasionally.  Add green beans, tomatoes, and tomato paste with water or stock. Stir to combine, cover and cook on low until beans are desired tenderness. I like mine still a tad firm and this took about 20 mins. Stir occasionally. Serve over farro (Italian wheat berries) or barley.
This is how my 4 yr old likes hers, all separate

No comments:

Post a Comment