Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Gluten Free Dinner - Vegetarian Chili and Cornbread

Today I delivered dinner to a friend who recently had a baby girl. She is gluten-free and vegetarian so I looked up some recipes online and got to cooking. The vegetarian chili I adapted from Gluten-Free Goddess's Butternut Chili and the cornbread from her Skillet Cornbread with Green Chilies. I made double and we had ourselves a gluten-free vegetarian meal as well. I will say that I prefer my Colorful Chili but I'm not sure if it's because of the meat or because of the multitude of spices. The cornbread was absolutely delicious! Super moist and I love the diced green chilies in it. So make your favorite chili and enjoy this recipe for gluten-free cornbread.

Gluten Free Cornbread Recipe
Combine in a medium bowl:

1 cup gluten-free cornmeal
1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking Mix
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking soda
1½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup granulated coconut sugar

Mix in a separate large bowl:
2 eggs
1 cup kefir or buttermilk
½ cup grapeseed oil
¼ cup water

Mix dry ingredients into wet and stir just to combine.
Add and mix until combined:
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies

Pour into a greased 9x9" baking dish or a greased 10" cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and/or chili powder if desired. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 25-30 mins or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try the cornbread. I have been wondering what to do with my gluten free "flour." I also made vegetarian chili the other night, mine used yams and black beans. I liked it, but Mike thought it could use sausage. :-)

    ReplyDelete