Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 Week 1 - New Cookbooks!

Well I made it to 2012! I do plan to keep blogging, but I'm not sure if the format will stay the same. I'm thinking about changing it so that each recipe is it's own entry. This will make it easier for searching. Not as convenient maybe for actually cooking and meal planning, but we'll see.

What I am really excited about are the new cookbooks I got! Most of my meals will come out of them, at least for the first part of the year :) I'll give you a brief overview of each one and what I like about them.


My Father's Daughter, by Gwyneth Paltrow
I am not a follower of celebrities in the least, but if there was one I would like to meet in real life it would be Gwyneth Paltrow. So when I found out she had a book, a cookbook, nonetheless, I had to have it! Her recipes look healthy, tasty and relatively easy. Mostly, I can tell a lot of love went into both the recipes and the book. Plus, the book is nice enough to be a coffee table book and leave sitting out. From Amazon.com: "This is Gwyneth Paltrow as you have never seen her before - a busy working mum who understands the time pressures on all of us as well as the desire to cook delicious and original food. Inspired by precious memories of cooking with her father, it is a truly personal book that celebrates cooking with - and for - the ones you love."



Great Easy Meals, by Food Network Magazine
I love how this book is organized. It has sections for Soups & Stews, Sandwiches & Pizza, Poultry, Meat, Fish & Seafood, Pasta & Grains, Side Dishes, and 10-Minute Desserts. At the beginning of each section there are thumbnail pictures of each and every dish! There is also an index in the back for quickly looking up ingredients (like what are the recipes in this book that use Swiss chard, for example). I also love how some of the recipes give suggestions for side dishes to go along with it or recipes for using the leftovers. Brilliant!


Whole Eating Cookbook, by Elizabeth Rider
This is an e-book and is near and dear to my heart because Liz Rider is a mentor of mine in the health and wellness sector. This book has some great recipes and they are vegetarian, gluten-free, and, most importantly, low-glycemic. She explains why she eats this way in the beginning of the book and then the recipes follow. There aren't a lot of recipes altogether but there are several main-dish salad recipes that I am excited about trying. There are even some raw recipes and some healthy treats (including healthy beverages which is a nice addition). You can get this book for your Kindle or even just read it on your tablet or PC if you get the Kindle reader for PC app.

No comments:

Post a Comment