Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sourdough Cornbread with Yellow Squash

Having sourdough starter in the house means I'm constantly trying to use it so I don't actually have to discard any when I feed it. Today I decided to see if I could find a sourdough cornbread recipe. Lo and behold, Emeril has one. So, I adapted it a little for my taste and added some yellow squash I had in the fridge that needed to be used. It came out so so good. I think it's better than the zucchini cornbread I previously posted. This isn't as sweet as the other, but was super moist. My four year old liked it better than the zucchini cornbread, since she couldn't actually see the squash this time. I'm not normally a fan of "hiding" veggies in things, but since Laina gladly ate this and had seconds, yet hardly touched the zucchini version, I have to concede this one.

Sourdough Cornbread with Yellow Squash
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 cup sourdough starter (100% hydration, straight out of fridge)
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 whole eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (if it's hot in your house like it is mine, it will already be liquid)
  • 2 small yellow summer squash, grated 
Turn oven to 400 F. Put 1 Tbs coconut oil in 9x9" glass baking dish or large cast iron skillet and put in oven while it preheats.

Mix dry ingredients in small bowl. Mix remaining ingredients except squash in large bowl, beating well to incorporate the starter throughout. Stir squash into wet ingredients and then mix dry into wet. Mix just to incorporate. Carefully remove preheated pan from oven and pour in batter. Bake 30-40 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool a few minutes before cutting and serving. (Preheating the oil in the pan makes a delicious crispy crust that was my four year old's favorite part!)

No comments:

Post a Comment