Thursday, June 30, 2011

Rhubarb Apple Crisp with Vanilla Frozen Yogurt

I had rhubarb crisp for the first time a few weeks ago and decided immediately that it was one of my favorite desserts and that I had to make it myself. I adapted a recipe I found in my Good Housekeeping cookbook and then topped it with homemade vanilla fro-yo. Amazing!

We planted a rhubarb plant this year, too, but unfortunately have to wait it out until next season before harvesting it. I can't wait!


Rhubarb Apple Crisp, serves 4
2 cups sliced rhubarb
2-3 fuji apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1" pieces
1 Tbs cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
topping:
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 Tbs butter, cut into pieces

Combine rhubarb, apples, cornstarch and sugar in medium bowl. Pour into 8x8" baking dish. Mix topping ingredients by hand, crumbling the butter, until mixture is coarsely combined. Spread over rhubarb mixture. Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for about 45 mins or until bubbly and browned.

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
3 cups plain, full-fat yogurt (preferably Greek style or a very thick yogurt, I like Mountain High)
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
1-2 Tsp vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients in large bowl and refrigerate about 30 mins to make sure sugar is dissolved and mixture is cold. Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's directions for ice cream. Spoon over warm rhubarb crisp and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am making this tonight to go with chocolate cake. I added a T (half batch) of spiced rum to help it not turn into a brick in the freezer. I hope it works. I used vodka in a fruity yogurt, but I didn't really notice a difference in the freezer. Wish me luck...

    ReplyDelete