Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Week 15

Potato and Kale Galette
I've got both potatoes and kale coming in my produce box this week. I don't normally use a lot of potatoes in my cooking because they are high glycemic. These potatoes are local though and I do like to include the local produce when it's available. So, I searched online for a recipe that would incorporate both the potatoes and the kale and I found this delicious sounding recipe for a galette (which I have never heard of before). I'm planning to add some pancetta or bacon in the layers to make it into a more hearty meal but you could certainly leave it out and have a vegetarian meal.

Ravioli with Asparagus and Walnuts
Okay, this is not exactly a 100% made from scratch meal, but I have asparagus sitting in the fridge and saw this recipe in Woman's Day magazine (which I somehow get now. Not really my style but I have gotten some recipes from it that are good). Maybe a good goal for me will be to eventually make the raviolis myself. I don't think it could be that terribly hard.

14 oz package ravioli (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup EVOO
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
8 oz asparagus, trimmed and sliced on diagonal
1 oz grated Parmesan cheese

Cook ravioli according to package. Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet and add the garlic and walnuts and cook just a couple minutes, stirring, until fragrant. Be careful not to over cook garlic. Add asparagus and cook until just tender, about 2 mins. Serve over ravioli and top with grated Parm.

Cod Cakes w/orange and radish salad and sugar snap peas
2 navel oranges
1 1/2 lb cod fillet cut into 2" pieces
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 large egg white
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
----------------
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
2-3 Tbs EVOO
1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced

Grate 2 tsp zest from oranges and add to food processor with remaining ingredients through pepper (reserving oranges). Pulse until combined but do not over process. Form cod mixture into eight 3/4" patties. Coat each patty in panko breadcrumbs. Heat 1 Tbs EVOO in large skillet. Add fish cakes and cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to baking sheet and bake in oven set to 400F until cooked through, about 5-8 mins.

Meanwhile, peel oranges and cut away as much of the white pith as possible. Slice into thin rounds. Toss oranges, radishes, jalapeno, onion and remaining Tbs oil in bowl. Add S&P to taste. Serve with cod cakes and sugar snap peas. Sugar Snap Peas with Orange and Mint recipe here.

Slow Cooker Thai Chicken (adapted from Woman's Day Magazine)
forgot the Cilantro but still yummy!

3/4 cup coconut milk
2 Tbs natural (no sugar added) peanut butter
1 Tbs curry paste (the original recipe calls for red but I have green so I'm using that)
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, cut into large chunks
2 red bell peppers, sliced thick
1 large onion, sliced
1 lb rice noodles, cooked according to package directions
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
lime wedges

In 5 qt or larger slow cooker, combine all ingredients through onion. Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours. Stir in peas and cover and cook another 3 mins. Serve over cooked noodles and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment