Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Easy Cold Cereal Alternatives

I've been reading a lot about how bad for you boxed, extruded (which most are) cereals are. But sometimes I just love a bowl of cold cereal! So, here are a few alternatives (some of which may seem a little strange) that still give me that "cereal comfort".

The obvious one: homemade (or a good quality store-bought) granola and milk (or yogurt or kefir)

Rice cereal: have leftover cooked rice in the fridge? Put some in a bowl, sprinkle with cinnamon and a touch of sugar or other sweetener, pour over milk, and enjoy! Yummy with brown or white rice, and you can either leave the rice cold or heat it up first.

Cornbread cereal: Make too much cornbread the night before? Same idea as the rice - put a square of cornbread in a bowl, break up a bit, pour milk over and enjoy. I don't add sweetener to the cornbread b/c usually it's a bit sweet on its own.

Food For Life's Ezekiel Cereal: This is a boxed cereal but I contacted Food For Life and they said their cereals are NOT extruded! The ingredients are good and include sprouted grains. There is no added sugar so the sugar content is actually very low. And they taste just like Grape Nuts which I love!

Those are the ones I eat when I want cold cereal. What do you do for a fast, easy cold cereal alternative?

This post is part of Real Food Wednesdays, hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop.

4 comments:

  1. WOW. Stopped over from Real Food Wednesday. I am also in the Denver Metro area. Very nice to sort of "meet" you.

    As for breakfasts, my go-to is steel cut oats I start the night before. I haven't bought cereal for the kids in ages. We also eat a lot of eggs, toast, French toast, pancakes and waffles. We also do granola, yogurt and parfaits made with yogurt and fruit. I am thinking about adding in more smoothies are they are faster but since I have ten kids, I'll have to work in batches.

    I'll stop by again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ubermom! I'm glad you stopped by :) We do smoothies a lot too, especially in the summertime. In the winter it's definitely nice to do the hot breakfasts, and we do a lot of soaked oats, too. Once hot weather rolls around, I like to have some cold alternatives for breakfast, too. We're being totally spoiled by the awesome spring weather here in the Denver area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I hopped over here from Kelly the Kitchen Kop's Wednesday carnival.
    I have to say that plain popcorn is really good in milk. I suggest the non-buttered, non salted kind. But even stale popcorn left over from the night before is just really tasty in milk! It actually tastes a lot LIKE some types of cereal.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom used to make rice cereal for us. Loved it. But we do love cereal in our house. I try not to buy the high sugar ones but sometimes I break down and buy Cocoa Puffs. The chocolatey milk from it, yummy.

    ReplyDelete