Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Apricot Almond Muffins

A little mid-week snack for you :) I wanted, really wanted, to make muffins today for some reason. Muffins are not all that healthy with their typical sugary, bleached-flour whiteness. So, I found a recipe online for almond meal muffins and tweaked it a bit. I think they came out divine! You must try them...


Apricot Almond Muffin Recipe

1 1/2 cups almond meal
1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick cooking)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted (next time I'm going to try coconut oil)
1/3 cup warm water
1/3 cup honey (I'm sure you could use agave or brown rice syrup or whatever sweetener you want)
4 eggs
1/2 cup dried unsulphered apricots, chopped

Mix dry ingredients. Beat in melted butter, water, and honey. Mix well. Add eggs and beat well. Add apricots, stir. Pour into greased or lined muffin pans (I filled 16 regular sized muffin cups about 3/4 full). If you end up with unfilled muffin cups in your pan, fill them 1/2 way with water to get more even cooking. I actually don't know if it really makes a difference, but I read that once and have done it ever since. Anyways, fill your cups and bake at 350 degrees F for 15-18 mins. (Mine took 18 mins). They're done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for a min or two, then gently remove (I use a rubber spatula to loosen all the way around the edges and then pop out) and let cool on rack (or tipped on their sides in the pan). Enjoy with a tall glass of fresh, raw milk for the ultimate indulgence!

3 comments:

  1. where do you get almond meal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got mine at Vitamin Cottage. Maybe Whole Foods would have it, too? Or, you can make your own - just grind almonds in a food processor until it's flour-like, just don't over do it or else you'll have almond butter :)

    ReplyDelete